Busy, weird day yesterday as the church targeted in Knoxville is my Mother’s church and church I grew up in.
She did not see it because she was shielded by the organ. She is shook up , of course, but is being resilient as is whole congregation. They are cleaning up today and are already mobilizing to support each other.
One of the fallen was a friend of my Mom’s. Greg McKendry was on the church finance committee and was always around the building figuring out how to save money. He used to be a purchasiing agent before retiring, and brought that frugality to the church. I’m sure it was appreciated. He was a loving person who had recently become the foster father to a teen ager who had bee bouncing around in the foster system.
Monday news: Shooter apparently blamed “liberal movement” for his woes. That is why he targeted TVUUC, a church active in civil rights for African-Americans, Central Americans (part of sanctuary movement), and LGBT.
Seven principles of UU faith:
There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.